The Beaufort County Board of Elections is starting the process to acquire a new voting equipment system. There are legal requirements that need to be met. The steps are as follows:
- Board of elections members must witness a demonstration of at least two voting system and one must be a certified voting system not currently used in your county.
- The board of elections must then make a preliminary recommendation to the board of county commissioners as to which voting system should be acquired by the county.
- The county board of elections must test the proposed voting system in a simulated election.
- Seek State Board approval to replace the current voting system.
- County board of elections must make a final recommendation to the board of county commissioners. (The board of commissioners can decline to adopt or acquire any voting system recommended by the county board of elections, but it cannot adopt or acquire a voting system that has not been approved by the county board of elections. The public contracting and procurement statutes do not apply to the purchase of a certified voting system. Along with the final recommendation, the CBE must submit the proposed vendor contract to the State Board of Elections for review and approval.)
Our public demonstrations (step 1) will start next week. The Hart Demo will be on April 21st at 5 pm. The ES&S Demo will be on April 27th at 5 pm. You are not required to attend but we are extending the invitation to any and all parties that may have an interest. The meeting is open to the public. The notice with dates and times is below.
NOTICE OF BOARD OF ELECTIONS PUBLIC DEMONSTRATION FOR NEW VOTING SYSTEMS
Prior to recommending the purchase of a new voting system to the Beaufort County Commissioners, the Beaufort County Board of Elections must observe demonstrations of two voting systems certified for use in North Carolina. The demonstrations will be held at the Beaufort County Board of Elections, 1308 Highland Drive, Suite 104, Washington, North Carolina, 27889, on the following dates:
Wednesday, April 21st, 2021 at 5:00 pm:
Voting System: Hart Inter Civic www.hartintercivic.com
Tuesday, April 27th, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Voting System: Election Systems and Software (ES&S) https://www.essvote.com/
Additional Information on NC Certified Election Systems:
More information can be found at https://www.ncsbe.gov/voting/voting-equipment including equipment use in all 100 counties in North Carolina.
Please contact the Board of Elections if you have any questions.